How to Contribute
The University is also encouraging staff, faculty and students to make financial contributions to assist the relief efforts. Both the University of Chicago and University of Chicago Hospitals will match employee contributions. The Hospitals will match employee contributions to the Red Cross, while the University will match employee contributions to both the Red Cross and United Way. Both the Hospitals and University are matching all contributions up to $250,000 total for a combined total of $500,000.
The University's Matching Contribution Program.
The University has committed up to $250,000 to match the total of contributions from faculty, staff and students to the American Red Cross or United Way.
Three Ways to Ensure a Matching Gift
- Contribute Online. Students, staff, and faculty members can contribute to the American Red Cross or the United Way online: at http://www.redcross.org or http://www.unitedway.org. Once you've contributed, you will receive an electronic gift receipt from the United Way or the American Red Cross. Please email this receipt to: firstname.lastname@example.org and your gift will be matched by the University.
- Document Your Gift to the United Way or Red Cross. If you've already contributed to the United Way or Red Cross - or if you plan to contribute directly to the United Way or Red Cross - please save a copy of one of the following: your gift receipt from the Red Cross or United Way, a cancelled check, or the charge on your credit card statement. This record of your gift should be delivered to Nancy Gormley, Director of Gift Services, Administration Building, Room 007C, Chicago, IL 60637, or, via email to: email@example.com and your gift will be matched by the University.
- Make a contribution to the University of Chicago to benefit the Red Cross or United Way. Indicate on your check's memo line your preference for either the Red Cross or the United Way, and the University will then make a contribution for twice the value of your gift to the charity you indicate. Please send your check to Nancy Gormley, Director of Gift Services, University of Chicago Administration Building, Room 007C, Chicago, Il 60637, whose office will also issue a receipt for your gift to the University.
If you have any questions about the University's matching gift program, please contact Nancy Gormley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Chicago Hospitals will support employees who want to volunteer time or resources to help those affected by Hurricane Katrina.
This support includes:
- Paid time off for up to two weeks, with the possibility to renew, for employees who volunteer to serve with certain established relief organizations such as the Red Cross, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services or the American Hospital Association. Many physicians, nurses and staff have been searching for ways to help and some have already found ways to serve.
- The Hospitals will match employee contributions to the Red Cross or United Way up to a total of $250,000.
- The Hospitals have agreed to accept patients as part of the National Disaster Medical System.